Friday, October 19, 2007

No Wonder they Call His Grace "Amazing"

Quoting from her own book "The Late Liz," Gertrude Behanna says, "In standing aside and looking back at this woman I used to be, it is more and more possible to detach myself, to view her in third person. She was she and I am I; Siamese Twins perhaps, one of whom must die that the other may live.’

"I went over to my bed and got down on my knees. I said ‘If you’re anywhere around I wish you’d please help me because I sure need it.’ And in about 20 minutes it was all over.
Of course there are no words. All I know is that it was more like a spiritual shower bath than anything. I felt cleansed. I also felt welcome. I’d never had a home. And I felt welcomed. I also felt forgiven. And I knew exactly who this was. I who had never known anything about God in my whole life knew exactly who this was.
After a while I stood up and I said, ‘Thank you very much Sir! I don’t know anything about this and I’m going to have to start from scratch but I’ll tell you one thing I’ll never take another drop of liquor as long as I live.’ And I haven’t.
People are always saying to me ‘I wish I had your character.’ Well I don’t have any character. It doesn’t make sense that a woman of 53 would get down on her knees and 20 minutes later get up with character. Something had been added alright; a plus. And a plus is in the shape of the cross. You and I call Him Jesus Christ.”
Gert often, if not always, closed her talks with this prayer …

“Oh Lord I ain’t what I oughta be!
Lord I ain’t what I wanna be!
Lord I ain’t what I’m gonna be!
But, thanks Lord I ain’t what I used to be!”

No comments: